sHEFFIELD Students refused to flee fire

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS were shocked after students refused to leave their block of flats – putting their own lives at risk – during a serious kitchen fire.

Crews were called to Rockingham House, Newcastle Street, Sheffield city centre, on Monday at 9.15pm, following a report of a kitchen fire.

More than 50 residents were evacuated after unattended cooking sparked the blaze in a third-floor flat.

Firefighters knocked on doors to alert neighbours but some either didn’t respond or refused to leave their flats when asked.

Those who evacuated returned to their accommodation by 11pm, but six had to stay elsewhere because the damage was so severe. No one was hurt in the blaze.

Group Manager Ade Robinson said: “It’s frightening so many students failed to respond to our firefighters’ calls to evacuate. This was a serious fire, producing a lot of thick, black smoke, so it was vital we got people out of the neighbouring flats as quickly as possible.”

The first crews to arrive at the scene evacuated the students and four firefighters entered the burning kitchen to extinguish the flames.

Police were called to deal with the crowd of students and closed off Broad Lane.