Sheffield kitten swallows six-inch TV aerial

Alphie the tabby kitten had to have a six inch aerial surgically removed by the Vetinary team at Newhall Road PDSA Pet Hospital in Sheffield.
Alphie the tabby kitten had to have a six inch aerial surgically removed by the Vetinary team at Newhall Road PDSA Pet Hospital in Sheffield.
0
Have your say

A KITTEN in Sheffield had a lucky escape after he swallowed a six-inch TV aerial and survived.

Alphie required emergency surgery when the metal antenna became lodged in his oesophagus and stomach.

X-ray showing the aerial antenna inside Alphie.

X-ray showing the aerial antenna inside Alphie.

Owner Vanessa Waite, aged 36, of Parson Cross, had only owned the young tabby kitten for a few days when he started his love affair with the TV.

He would sit for a long time being mesmerised by the moving pictures on the screen, but she had no idea he had also developed an unhealthy obsession with the aerial, she said.

“One night I heard a loud bang and went upstairs to investigate but I assumed Alphie had fallen off the window sill. He seemed okay and was just hiding under the bed. However, during the night he was being sick so the next morning I took him to the PDSA. It wasn’t until later that I realised that one of the aerial antennas was missing from my TV.”

The aerial would have proved fatal if it remained inside him, so surgeons removed it through the kitten’s stomach.

Liz Airey, senior veterinary surgeon at the PDSA Sheffield PetAid hospital, said it was one of the most unusual cases she had ever come across.

She said: “It’s fortunate that he didn’t swallow it the other way round as the sharp broken end could have punctured his stomach and caused damage to his intestines which could have been fatal.”