Sheffield house fire which killed two was accidental

The remains of a farmhouse after a blaze in Sheffield - Picture: BBC Radio Sheffield
The remains of a farmhouse after a blaze in Sheffield - Picture: BBC Radio Sheffield
0
Have your say

A Sheffield house fire which killed two people was started accidentally, according to fire and rescue.

Yesterday The Star reported how ‘friendly and kind’ elderly couple died when a fire ripped through their 17th Century farmhouse on Spout Lane, Stannington.

Tributes have been paid to a woman who died in a house fire in Sheffield

Tributes have been paid to a woman who died in a house fire in Sheffield

The couple, who were named locally as Len and Freda, both in their 90s, were both found dead inside the Grade II listed building.

Today, South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said that the fatal fire was started accidentally. A tweet said: “Investigation into Farmhouse fire in Stannington where elderly couple died is found to be accidental, believed to be cooking related.”

Emergency services were called to the property shortly after 3am on Monday and found it engulfed in flames.

By early afternoon, two bodies had been recovered.

In the wake of the tragedy, neighbours paid tribute to the couple.

Neighbour Ann Currier said: “I’m really sorry for them, what a terrible way to go. They were so friendly, sociable and kind and both did a lot in the community.”