Sheffield gun victim loses his ‘brave fight for life’

Chris Humphreys
Chris Humphreys
0
Have your say

The family of a man shot in the head in Sheffield have paid tribute to ‘a fantastic son and brother’ after he lost his fight for life.

Chris Humphreys died in the Royal Hallamshire Hospital in the early hours of Saturday after suffering serious injuries in the shooting, which happened at a house on Handsworth Grange Road, Handsworth.

Emergency services were called to the house at just after 10.20pm last Sunday to find Chris, aged 24, from Handsworth, with a life-threatening head injury caused by a blast from an air rifle.

Police are investigating the theory the rifle may have been discharged accidentally.

In a statement, Chris’ family said he put up a ‘brave fight for life’ while he battled to survive his severe wounds.

They said: “He was a fantastic son and brother to all his family. He tried to hang on and recover, but could not,.

“The doctors and nurses at the neuro-critical care ward at the Hallamshire were fantastic and gave him as much as they could.

“We would like to thank them for the help and support they gave our Chris.”

The grieving relatives asked for privacy while they deal with their loss.

Russell Fairchild, aged 47, of Handsworth Grange Road, has been charged with wounding in connection with the incident.

He is currently remanded in custody and due to appear at Sheffield Crown Court tomorrow.

A 23-year-old man also arrested in connection with the shooting was later released without charge.

Following the incident, South Yorkshire police and crime commissioner Shaun Wright said air weapons were legal – but lethal.

He said: “Even though air weapons are legally owned, this type of incident demonstrates they are dangerous and need to be treated with great respect.

“Anyone using a weapon in a way that could endanger the public should be reported to the police immediately.

“My sympathies are with the family of the man.”

An armed police officer who was on duty on the night said that the shooting may have been the result of an ‘accidental discharge of an air rifle’ in a posting made on social networking site Twitter.