Sheffield firms to face gas safety spot checks

Sheffield city councillor Bryan Lodge
Sheffield city councillor Bryan Lodge
0
Have your say

Sheffield Council is carrying out spot checks on city businesses to make sure they are gas safe.

Inspectors from the Health and Safety Enforcement Team are visiting firms - with a focus on food outlets - in support of Gas Safety Week, running from September 19 to 25.

The council wants to educate businesses about the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances, which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Cabinet member for environment Bryan Lodge said: “Gas can be a very dangerous substance, and we need people to realise the importance of using professional certified gas engineers for installations and maintenance. If people cut corners the consequences can be devastating.

“We want to raise awareness of the dangers, which include explosions, carbon monoxide poisoning and sometimes death, and to make sure businesses know that we will take action if they don’t comply. Our team work hard to help businesses meet the standards set out by law and are happy to advise those who have concerns or are unsure.”

By law, only Gas Safe registered engineers can work on gas appliances. For Gas Safety Week, organisations from across the UK work together to encourage all gas consumers to arrange an annual gas safety check.

This year they are trying to encourage the public to reach out to their friends and family, be they elderly parents or a disabled neighbour, to ensure they are gas safe.

Coun Lodge added “It’s not just businesses that need to be vigilant; everyone must make sure their homes are safe. I would encourage people to speak to their relatives and friends, particularly the vulnerable and help them find out more about an annual gas safety check because with gas you can’t see it and you can’t always smell it."