Sheffield firefighters rescue woman from burning house

editorial image
0
Have your say

A woman and her dog had to be rescued from a burning house by Sheffield firefighters last night.

The middle-aged lady was trapped at an upstairs window of the house on Renshaw Road, High Storrs, after a fire broke out in a room downstairs.

It was quite a serious fire downstairs and the house was completely smoke-logged

Fire crews from Central, Mansfield Road and Rivelin attended the blaze and broke into the house shortly before 12.30am.

Central Watch Manager Des Omar said: “There was a middle-aged lady and a dog in the house.

“There was an accidental fire downstairs in the living room and the person couldn’t get out.

“She was at an upstairs window when we arrived. It was quite a serious fire downstairs and the house was completely smoke-logged.

“We had a ladder at the window in case we needed to get her out but we were able to put out the fire downstairs and get her out that way in the end.”

The woman was given oxygen at the scene but was not taken to hospital.

The fire is thought to have been caused by a wood burner.

Mr Omar said: “With any woodburner, keep combustibles away.

“It doesn’t take a lot to start a fire and unfortunately that’s what has happened here.”

IN OTHER NEWS:

Man dies at Rotherham United and Sheffield Wednesday derby

Man charged with sex assault on woman, 71, in Sheffield

Four children taken to hospital after motorbike collision in Doncaster

Named and jailed: Dad whose violent shaking left baby son profoundly disabled

Back to the top of the page