Sheffield families are overheating homes

0
Have your say

Homeowners in Sheffield are some of the worst offenders when it comes to heating their homes to extreme temperatures – despite worries about heating bill costs – a new survey has found.

Almost a third – 31 per cent – of Sheffielders admitted to heating bedrooms to temperatures of 21C and above.

Honeywell, which carried out the survey, warns eating homes to greenhouse temperatures encourages the onset of allergens such as the house dust mite which thrives in temperatures of 21C or higher.

Lindsey McManus from Allergy UK said: “Frequently having the temperature too high can encourage house dust mites to breed, or too low can encourage mould to develop – both of which can trigger respiratory and allergy problems and can cause eye, nose and throat irritation, coughing and phlegm build-up, wheezing and shortness of breath, all symptoms of an allergic reaction.”

Nick Hunt, of Honeywell, said: “We recommend homeowners talk to a heating engineer about the best controls to suit them.

“We wouldn’t control every light in our house from one switch, so why should we do the same for temperature?”