Sheffield faces ‘historic decision’ as huge numbers expected to vote in EU referendum

Sheffield's  city centre ..See Story      Picture  by Chris Lawton    25   September  2002
Sheffield's city centre ..See Story Picture by Chris Lawton 25 September 2002
0
Have your say

Sheffield Council is urging voters to be patient when visiting EU referendum polling stations tomorrow - due to the expected high turnout.

Around 500 people will be working in 207 city polling stations.

In a snap online poll by The Star of 1,300 readers, 64 per cent were in favour of leaving the EU, with 36 per cent wanting to remain.

READ MORE:

Sheffielders share their stance on Brexit or Bremain

Debating a case for remaining in the EU

Debating a case for Brexit from the EU

While speaking to reporters on the streets, Sheffield residents expressed divided views. Many backing the remain camp have raised concerns about travel, the economic uncertainty of a leave vote and trade agreements.

Those wanting to leave the EU spoke of immigration, the state of the NHS and keeping money we send to the union in Britain.

The council’s elections chief James Henderson said: “This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity for the people of Sheffield to have their say on an issue of real significance for the future of the country. I would encourage all Sheffielders to use their vote on Thursday to influence this historic decision about whether Britain should remain or leave.”

James Henderson, director of policy, performance and communications at Sheffield Council

James Henderson, director of policy, performance and communications at Sheffield Council

John Mothersole, the council’s chief executive, said: “Given the significant level of public interest in the referendum, we are expecting a high voter turnout.

“We would encourage everyone in the city who has a vote to use it – however, please be aware that polling stations may be busy at some points during the day.”

Remain campaigners have said Sheffield has benefitted greatly from EU investment, citing the city centre regeneration as a prime example. But leave campaigners have said the city, and Britain, can thrive outside the political and monetary union.

In South Yorkshire, YouGov poll found voters in Sheffield are leaning towards staying in the EU, whereas voters in Rotherham, Doncaster and Barnsley are more likely to vote ‘leave’.

The poll also found Barnsley to be the 11th most Eurosceptic place in the whole of the UK. Polling stations will be open from 7am to 10pm. Voters do not need their polling card to cast their ballot.

Find out how South Yorkshire votes. Results as they happen at thestar.co.uk