Sheffield College launches polling booths in its campuses

heffield College students register to vote at makeshift polling booths that have been set up at the four main campuses
heffield College students register to vote at makeshift polling booths that have been set up at the four main campuses
0
Have your say

The Sheffield College is encouraging students to register to vote in the general election by setting up polling booths at its campuses.

The polling booths are being placed at the college’s City, Hillsborough, Olive Grove and Peaks campuses until May 22, the deadline for registering to vote.

Inside the booths, students can complete paper registration forms that will enable them to vote next month.

The initiative is being jointly spearheaded by the college and its Students’ Union.

Principal Heather Smith said: “There has been a very positive response to the launch of the polling booths. We want to ensure that our students are aware of their rights and the democratic process, and have their say by registering to vote.”

Students' Union president, Amy Smith, added: "This is a great way to attract attention and raise awareness of the importance of voting.

"Students need to register if they want their voices to be heard."

Young people are less likely to be registered than other age groups. The Electoral Commission research suggests 67 per cent of 18 to 24-year-olds are registered to vote, leaving a third 33 per cent unregistered.

"This compares to five per cent of over 55s who are not on the electoral roll."

Chief executive of the Association of Colleges, David Hughes, said: "We cannot underestimate the importance of young people registering and turning out to vote.

"The decisions made by the next government will be relevant to all young people and we urge them to ensure they are able to make their voice heard on election day."

APPEAL: Woman raped at Crystal Bar in Sheffield city centre

Sheffield Wednesday: Dejphon Chansiri issues Owls rallying cry ahead of Huddersfield Town play-off semi-final second leg

Jail for sick rapist who filmed himself carrying out 'shocking' sex attack on Sheffield woman

Sheffield Wednesday: Get all the latest Owls stats

Popular Sheffield restaurant broken into

Broken down vehicle leads to lane closure on South Yorkshire motorway

LISTED: Meadowhall reveal these FIVE new shops will open later this year

Sheffield United: How the boss gave a Young Lion real bite

Download The Star's mobile app now for FREE

Sheffield United: Get all the Blades stats