Safety advice issued after blaze destroys home in Barnsley

editorial image
0
Have your say

Fire chiefs have issued safety advice around the use of open fires after a house blaze.

A home on Chapel Road, Pilley, Barnsley, was engulfed in flames on Sunday night after a blaze believed to have started by a spark from the open fire in the lounge.

Two men in the house at the time managed to escape.

A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said: “During the winter months we all need that extra warmth, an open fire or wood burning stove in your home should be a lovely feature for you and your family.

“However, they can be a potential hazard within your home. A few simple tips will prevent fires starting and keep your loved ones safe.

“Do not overfill a fire grate in case coals or logs fall out, always use a spark guard and do not position furniture too close to the fire.

“Don’t dry or air clothes over or near the fire. Get your chimney swept regularly.”