RSPCA issues advice amid speculation of dog poisonings in Chesterfield

Neither Derbyshire police nor the RSPCA has received any reports of the alleged poisonings.
Neither Derbyshire police nor the RSPCA has received any reports of the alleged poisonings.
0
Have your say

RSPCA chiefs have issued advice to pet owners amid speculation about dogs being poisoned in a Chesterfield park.

The Derbyshire Times has been made aware of claims that two dogs apparently fell ill after eating rat poison in Somersall Park over the last week or so.

Neither Derbyshire police nor the RSPCA has received any reports of the alleged poisonings.

However, on the back of the speculation, the RSPCA has released important advice to anyone who suspects their dog has been poisoned.

Rachel Butler, of the RSPCA, said: “When out walking your dog, it is important to keep an eye on them and make sure that they avoid eating anything that looks suspicious.

“Signs that your animal could be poisoned vary and can include any of the following: depression, vomiting, diarrhea, breathing difficulties, bad breath and lack of appetite.

“If you think your dog has been poisoned, stay calm and remove him or her from the source of the poison.

“Contact your vet immediately and inform them when, where and how the poisoning occurred. Always phone before taking your dog to the vet as they may be able to give you essential advice over the phone – and you may need to go to a different place than normal.

“If you are advised to take your dog to the vet, do so quickly and calmly.

“If appropriate, take the packaging, plant or substance to the vet but don’t expose yourself to any harm.

“Do not make your pet vomit up any substance without veterinary advice as this can be more damaging to the animal and it can be extremely dangerous.”