A man who poured petrol on an ants nest and set fire to it caused a blaze which damaged his property.
The fire was started at 8pm on Pear Tree Avenue, Bramley, Rotherham, and quickly spread to a garden hedge.
A fire service spokesman said the hedge was ‘burning fiercely’ when they arrived and the flames had spread to guttering and melted a plastic window frame.
A neighbour’s garden chair was also damaged in the incident.
Crews from Maltby station used hose reels to tackle the fire.
The spokesman said: “The man was trying to get rid of an ants nest.”