Rotherham families waiting for recovery of bodies of loved ones - eight weeks after power station collapse

The aftermath of the Didcot power station collapse.
The aftermath of the Didcot power station collapse.

Families of two Rotherham men missing since a power station collapsed two months ago are still waiting for their bodies to be recovered.

Demolition workers Ken Cresswell, 57, and John Shaw, 61, both from Rotherham, together with Chris Huxtable, 34, from Swansea, remain missing following the collapse of Didcot power station in Oxfordshire on February 23.

Work is continuing to clear rubble from the site.

Relatives travelled to the site of the collapsed station yesterday for a meeting with representatives from the Health and Safety Executive, site owners RWE Npower, police and rescue services and Rotherham MP Sarah Champion.

The MP said: “It was a sobering moment to visit the site where the men are trapped. The scale of the damage is overwhelming. I have sought further assurances that the recovery will continue unabated until the men are returned to their loved ones and that the families will continue to be kept informed of any developments.”

A statement issued by police on behalf of the agencies involved in the operation said there are around 20,000 tonnes of material to sift through.

“A large volume of material has been removed from the debris pile as part of the recovery phase.

“Clearance of the debris pile is progressing and up to 40 metres of the overall pile, which is around the length of a football pitch, has been cleared so far.

“These debris removal works are ongoing seven days a week, from dawn to dusk. Whilst to date everything is progressing to plan, due to the complex nature of the collapse the recovery phase will still take some time.”

Rotherham MP Sarah Champion travelled to the site of the collapsed Didcot power station yesterday to join families of the missing men and hold a meeting with officials to discuss the progress of the recovery.