Rotherham couple rescued from their burning home

Have your say

A man and woman were found slumped unconscious in their home after their chip pan caught fire.

The couple, aged in their 50s, were carried to safety from their home on Peter Street, Thurcroft, Rotherham, after firefighters searched their smoke-filled property and found them in their lounge.

They gave emergency first aid to the couple outside and revived them before firefighters arrived at the scene.

The pair were then taken to hospital for further treatment.

A South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue spokesman said neighbours raised the alarm after hearing a smoke alarm sounding.

When firefighters arrived they discovered a chip pan had caught fire in the kitchen while the occupants of the house were in their lounge.

The fire was contained to the kitchen, but smoke spread throughout the house.

A service spokesman said: “Crews from Aston Park, Rotherham and Maltby fire stations attended the incident yesterday, just before 3am.

“They found a man and a woman in their 50s unconscious in the living room on the ground floor of the house.

“Crews wearing breathing apparatus carried the casualties to safety and gave them first aid and oxygen until paramedics arrived to take them to hospital.”

At 1am yesterday, firefighters were called to Ridgeway Crescent, Carlton, Barnsley, to a report of another blaze.

Two women, in their 30s and 50s, had discovered a fire in a bedroom and had managed to get out before emergency services arrived.

But once outside the burning home the older woman collapsed because of the effects of inhaling smoke.

A discarded cigarette had started the fire.