FIREFIGHTERS have praised a mystery boy who alerted a South Yorkshire family to a blaze at their home.
The boy, believed to be aged around 10 years old, was walking past the terrace house on Avondale Road, Masbrough, Rotherham, when he spotted flames shooting through the roof.
He banged on the door to alert the occupants to the blaze and four adults and two teenagers all escaped unharmed.
When firefighters arrived at the scene they discovered that an electrical fault in the attic next door had sparked the blaze.
Two crews from Rotherham fire station dealt with the blaze, along with firefighters from Elm Lane in Sheffield, at 9.10pm on Monday.
They spoke to the boy at the scene and invited him to visit Rotherham fire station on Sunday for a tour and to meet the staff, but the youngster’s contact details were not logged.
Watch manager Wayne Robinson said: “The young boy did a fantastic job in alerting the people in the property to the fire - ensuring they got out safely without any injuries.
“The crews involved in this also did a fantastic job and deserve praise for their efforts in preventing the fire from spreading.”