A retired South Yorkshire Police officer is under investigation over an allegation linked to the Hillsborough disaster, it has emerged.
The former officer, who has not yet been named, is the subject of a police probe being carried out by Durham Constabulary as an independent force.
A spokesman for Durham Constabulary said the allegation relates to the Hillsborough disaster but does not relate to the day of the tragedy itself.
A file has been prepared for the Crown Prosecution Service to consider whether the officer should be charged.
The spokesman said: “We have been passed information regarding the alleged actions of a retired South Yorkshire Police officer.
“The incident is related to Hillsborough but did not take place on the day of the disaster.
“It is not clear at this stage if the actions consist of criminal behaviour as a charging decision has not been made by the Crown Prosecution Service.
“Until that decision is made, we are not in a position to progress any further.”
The Hillsborough disaster happened on April 15, 1989, when fans were crushed to death on the terraces at Hillsborough Football Stadium when Liverpool played Nottingham Forest in an FA Cup semi-final.
A total of 96 Liverpool fans lost their lives as a result of the crush.
An inquest jury last year ruled that the fans were 'unlawfully killed' and that police errors ‘caused or contributed’ to the tragedy.