The owner of an Indian restaurant accused of the manslaughter of a customer who suffered a fatal allergic reaction to peanuts after eating a curry is due to appear in court today.
Mohammed Zaman, aged 52, owner of the Indian Garden in Easingwold, North Yorkshire, is due to enter pleas at Teesside Crown Court after he was charged over the death of Paul Wilson, from Sheffield.
The 38-year-old dad bought the curry in January last year and suffered a severe anaphylactic reaction. He collapsed in the bathroom quarters of the Oak Tree Inn, Helperby, North Yorkshire, where he was working. It was claimed he requested no nuts.
As well as manslaughter by gross negligence, the restaurant boss is charged with perverting the course of justice by forging a food safety training certificate, an immigration offence relating to the employee who served the contaminated meal, and food safety offences.
Zaman, from Huntington, York, was granted bail at a previous hearing.