Residents in heating pipe row

Mark Gill with his waterdamaged house in Totley
Mark Gill with his waterdamaged house in Totley
Have your say

A resident who claims his home was devastated after a heating pipe burst is demanding action from Sheffield Council.

Mark Gill said a water valve burst showering his home with boiling hot water, narrowly missing his 21-year-old son and causing a ceiling to collapse.

Mr Gill, of Totley Brook Grove, Dore, owns the property, but said pipes for the city’s district heating system ran through his loft and those of other residents on the street.

Now neighbours are concerned the same could happen to them and are urging the council to carry out maintenance on the pipes.

Mr Gill, aged 50, and his wife Lorraine are currently staying in a hotel because their home is uninhabitable.

He said: “The pipework feeds our side of the road and a valve exploded.

“My son Liam had been in bed because he works nights and had just got up when the ceiling collapsed and boiling water came through. A few seconds earlier and he could have been badly burned. It doesn’t bear thinking about.

“There was water damage to all of the rooms and the ceiling in Liam’s bedroom came through completely.

“All the electrics are out and we are staying in a hotel.

“Other people in the area are worried – the council needs to do something.”

Residents said the pipes run through five houses and a block of flats on the street.

They held a meeting to discuss the issue and are urging the council to check their pipes.

A council spokesman said: “A district heating pipe burst in Mr Gill’s loft caused by a valve failure. This was an isolated incident which is very rare.

“We responded to secure the pipe, fixed water damage to the electrics and provided dehumidifiers.

“We have contacted Mr Gill’s neighbours to offer reassurance and to check the pipes in their homes.

“We have also extended this offer to more than 100 council tenants in the area.

“We are sorry for the disruption Mr Gill has experienced.”