A block of flats had to be evacuated after arsonists set fire to a sofa that had been left outside the building.
Fire crews were called to deal with the blaze in Wagon Road, Greasebrough, Rotherhmam, at about 11.30pm on Friday.
A sofa that had been left outside for collection had been set alight and flames had spread to the building.
Watch manager Eric Bugdol said the sofa had been next to the gas and electric meters, so all seven flats were evacuated as a precaution.
"The meters were set into a service duct," he said. "All the damage was there, so I do think it will have done more damage than it seems.
"It didn't get into the flats at all but the residual damage could be quite significant."
The fire was put out by 3am and residents were allowed to return to their homes.
Fire investigation officers were joined by police scene of crime officers. Watch manager Bugdol said the probably cause was arson.
Today’s top stories: