FIRE chiefs in Sheffield are urging people to sign up to their Press The Button campaign after they rescued a woman from her burning city centre flat – where the smoke alarm was disconnected.
The woman was found face down on her bed at the Royal Exchange Works, Lady’s Bridge.
Firefighters found a pan engulfed in flames in the kitchen and discovered the smoke detector had been disconnected, which could have alerted the woman to the blaze at 2am on Saturday.
Now firefighters want residents to sign up to receive weekly Twitter or email alerts reminding them to check that their smoke alarms are working.
Group manager Mick Mason said: “But for the swift actions of our fire crews, this could easily have been a much more serious incident.
“It’s shocking that people continue to disconnect smoke alarms, which can give them vital extra minutes to escape in the event of a fire.”
South Yorkshire’s firefighters have been to more than 100 house fires in the last three years where alarms had either been removed or batteries were missing or flat.
Visit www.pressthebutton.co.uk to sign up.