RESIDENTS in South Yorkshire are being urged to have gas appliances checked by reputable engineers to ensure they are safe.
In TV soap Coronation Street’s major storylines of the year, Fiz was left in a critical condition over the festive period after friend Tyrone’s attempts to fix her boiler end with her being rushed to hospital.
Now Rotherham Council is urging residents in the town not to suffer the same fate.
Richard Sutton, the authority’s partnering manager, said: “Rotherham Council housing services has for a number of years been one of the most successful boroughs in the country for the number of gas safety checks it carries out each year, with the current level of compliance at an all-time high.
“On average it takes less than an hour for our engineers to check the gas appliances on the annual visit.
“Carrying out a gas safety check and service is a legal requirement in rented properties whether it is for a privately rented or council rented property.
“There is good reason for this – carbon monoxide is difficult to detect because it has no smell, taste or colour, yet it is highly dangerous.”
n Rotherham Council tenants can call 01709 336009 to arrange their annual check, while private tenants can Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500 to find a registered engineer.