Pensioner dies following blaze

Trgaic blaze: Neville Close, Pittsmoor.
Trgaic blaze: Neville Close, Pittsmoor.
0
Have your say

A PENSIONER who was injured in a house fire in Sheffield has died.

The victim who was in her 80s has been named by neighbours as Jean Dawson.

She was rescued from the front room of the house by firefighters after the blaze broke out in the property on Neville Close, Pitsmoor, but died later in hospital.

Fire crews were alerted to the incident on Monday, January 2, at about 1.10pm.

Her daughter, named by neighbours as Tina, who is in her 40s, was also in the house at the time.

She was taken to hospital suffering from breathing difficulties.

An initial fire service investigation suggested it started accidentally, but following the fatality further enquiries are being carried out.

A neighbour, who asked not to be named, said Tina and neighbours threw buckets of water on the blaze and put it out before firefighters arrived.

She said: “It’s such a tragedy. Jean was a lovely woman who always had a smile on her face. Her children will be devastated.”

Mrs Dawson had lived in the house for 15 years, she said.

An inquest is expected to be opened this week.