About a dozen residents were forced to flee a Barnsley apartment block after fire broke out in a car park underneath.
The blaze occurred shortly before midnight on Saturday after a car parked beneath the building on Barnsley Road, Goldthorpe.
The alarm was raised by Graham and Michelle Wood, who were returning from a night out.
Mr Wood said: “As we walked past the flats we saw the flames and smoke coming from the basement.
“I dialled 999 while my wife banged on the entrance door to the flats and shouted to people to get out.
“A young lad looked out of his ground-floor flat and saw the flames.
“He came to the door, pushing the fire alarm as he passed.
“The flames and smoke were either side of the door as the large basement vents were at each side – we had to back off as the flames got higher and large popping and banging was occurring.
“One young lady who came out was in a right state, wrapped in just a towel after getting out of the shower. She had grabbed a few framed photos off the wall.”
When firefighters arrived at the building, the startled residents had gathered outside.
Crews checked no-one remained inside the building as a team tackled the fire.
A South Yorkshrie Fire & Rescue spokesman said no-one was injured in the fire, but it had caused smoke damage to several flats on the first and second floors of the building.
Staff from Yorkshire Water and the gas board also attended, following damage to the water supply and gas meter.