Pair sue after holiday hell

hellBS''Adam and Francesca Yates, both 29, of Cobnar Gardens, Woodseats, on holiday in Egypt in 2008. They have joined forces with a group of 127 holidaymakers attempting to sue the tour operators after they were struck down by illness.
hellBS''Adam and Francesca Yates, both 29, of Cobnar Gardens, Woodseats, on holiday in Egypt in 2008. They have joined forces with a group of 127 holidaymakers attempting to sue the tour operators after they were struck down by illness.
0
Have your say

A YOUNG Sheffield couple have joined forces with 125 other holiday makers who are suing a tour operator over hygiene at a resort where they fell terribly ill.

Francesca and Adam Yates, both aged 29, had high expectations when they booked a short break at the Movenpick Resort Hotel in Taba, Egypt.

Adam said: “Movenpick is meant to run luxury resorts, so we were pretty pleased when we managed to get an all-inclusive deal.”

But the couple’s holiday soon turned into a nightmare, when they picked up a stomach bug that left them incapacitated for most of the trip.

Francesca became so ill she even passed out at her dinner table at the resort restaurant.

Now the pair – who live in Woodseats with their 18-month-old son James – have joined a large group pursuing a legal bid for compensation.

The group’s solicitors Pannone LLP have filed a writ at London’s High Court, seeking £300,000 from Allbury Travel Group, who are in administration, as well as Peltours, First Choice Holidays, Longwood Holidays, Hotels4u.com, Future Travel and Movenpick Resort.

All 127 claimants fell ill at the hotel in the summer of 2008.

Francesca said: “Everyone we met was ill. The hygiene was appalling. The drinking vessels were filthy and full of bacteria, the food at the buffet didn’t have sneeze guards and were just left open all day.

“When I asked for milk in the morning the waiter just went and got some from another table – who knows how long it had been sitting there.”

Adam sai d: “It completely wrecked the trip. We are both pharmacists so we had a decent supply of medication. But others weren’t so lucky.

“There were some people hooked up on drips in their hotel rooms, getting charged a fortune for treatment.”

Francesca said: “When we complained to the rep he just said we had drunk too much alcohol!

“We couldn’t drink because were far too ill.”

Solicitor Clare Campbell, of Pannone LLP, said: “We are pursuing claims for 127 clients against a number of tour operators including First Choice and Peltours.

“Our clients all stayed at the Moevenpick Resort Hotel at some time during a seven-month period in 2008 and were ill for periods ranging from a couple of weeks up to as long as three months.

“We hope to resolve these claims with the tour operators but unless we can agree a settlement for all these clients, their cases will proceed to trial at a date to be set by the courts.”