A restaurant owner from Sheffield was fined after his business failed a food hygiene inspection.
An inspector who visited Curry Mahal, Balby Road, Doncaster, last year found it was filthy.
Atiqur Rahman, aged 41, of Ashbourne Road, Handsworth, Sheffield, admitted eight offences at Doncaster Magistrates’ Court and was fined £5,000 plus £1,208.10 costs.
Mark Cundy, prosecuting, said: “Raw chicken was stored above ready-to-eat food and pre-prepared salads, insects were found in the light fittings, utensils used to prepare food were dirty and mouldy and there was no soap available for staff.”
Mr Rahman voluntarily closed the restaurant for a thorough clean and two days later, it was allowed to reopen. When inspected again it was still in a clean condition.
He has now implemented a food hygiene checklist, used at the beginning and end of every day to ensure high standards.