Valerie Bayliss is spot on. Pinstone Street from Barkers Pool to Cambridge Street is the city centre’s longest surviving Victorian frontage.
Developed quickly between 1884 and 1895 by entrepreneurs who believed in Sheffield, and employing some of the best local architects, it represents the wealth and optimism of a town on its way to becoming a city. Just as now proposed, it was built by individual developers working with council support. Instead of demolishing a third of it, as Hammerson wanted to, the council has a golden opportunity to restore it as a celebration of the kind of vision we need to remember and emulate today, and complement it with imaginative modern buildings by today’s top city architects.
J Robin Hughes
Towngate Rd, Worrall, S35