a PENSIONER needed medical attention after a small fire at his Doncaster home.
The man, in his 80s, had put a chip pan on at his semi-detached property in Brosley Avenue, Barnby Dun, and then went pottering in the garden.
He was still outside when the smoke detector went off and fire appliances from Doncaster and Thorne stations rushed to the house.
Crews extinguished a small fire on the cooker which had caused some damage to the kitchen.
The occupier was not injured by the fire but, due to other health problems, was taken to hospital for a check-up, said a South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokesman.