Nut allergy tragedy leads to warning

Dylan Hill

Dylan Hill

0
Have your say

Restaurant, takeaway and cafe owners are being urged to advice customers of allergenic ingredients following the death of a Barnsley man.

Dylan Hill, aged 18, died after eating out at an Indian restaurant in the town last month.

Dylan Hill

Dylan Hill

The nut allergy sufferer left home without his EpiPen - an adrenaline filled syringe used to treat severe reactions - and died within an hour of eating his korma curry.

Apprentice builder Dylan, of John Street, Thurnscoe, had forgotten to take the life-saving medication out with him on his date with his girlfriend of 18 months, Demi.

He fell ill and was rushed to hospital but could not be saved.

An inquest into the death is planned and the Food Standards Agency is investigating the circumstances surrounding the tragedy .

Dylan Hill

Dylan Hill

The town’s trading standards officers are reminding food businesses of their legal responsibility to advise customers about allergenic ingredients.

In December last year it became a legal requirement for any business serving non pre-packed food to inform customers of allergenic ingredients contained in their dishes.

Information can be displayed on a menu, blackboard or given verbally, but if given verbally businesses must have a clear sign or indication on the menu that information can be obtained by asking a member of staff.

Councillor Roy Miller, of Barnsley Council’s cabinet, said: “In light of this terrible tragedy, I want to remind businesses that serve fresh food of their legal obligations.

“There are currently 14 allergens which could cause illness or death if an allergenic sufferer consumes them by mistake.

“Legislation was introduced to make it easy for customers to find out what allergens may be in their food.”

Call Barnsley Regulatory Services on 01226 772468 or visit the Food Standards Agency’s website www.food.gov.uk

Back to the top of the page