Nineteen arrested over Rotherham violence following Britain First march

The Britain First protesters in Rotherham
The Britain First protesters in Rotherham
0
Have your say

Nineteen men have been arrested following violence after demonstrations in Rotherham last month.

Bricks and bottles were allegedly thrown, injuring a number of people.

Police said today it was fortunate no one had been seriously hurt in the incident.

Disorder broke out in the Wellgate area at around 4.30pm on Saturday September 5 following a demonstration by around 150 members of Britain First in the town centre in relation to the child grooming scandal.

There was also a counter-demonstration on the day organised primarily by Unite Against Fascism.

Police said officers made a series of arrests for violent disorder on Monday and Tuesday.

Four of the men are from West Yorkshire, while the other 15 are from Rotherham.

They have been released on bail pending further consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service.

Chief Superintendent Jason Harwin, Rotherham commander, said: “A team of officers have worked tirelessly on this investigation, scouring CCTV footage and speaking to witnesses to gather as much information as we can about this incident.

“The disorder shocked the local community and it is lucky that nobody was seriously injured.

“Our work will continue to identify those involved in the disorder and I urge anyone who might hold information about the incident to come forward.”

If you have information, call South Yorkshire Police on 101, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111, quoting incident number 230 of 5 September 2015.