News In Brief: Cigarette end to blame for blaze

News: Local, national and international news 24-hours a day.
News: Local, national and international news 24-hours a day.
0
Have your say

A SMOULDERING cigarette disposed of in a bin caused a fire. The fag end had been put into a communal bin belonging to flats on Spotswood Drive, Gleadless, at 10.50pm on Wednesday.

It sparked a blaze which was starting to spread outside the bin store before fire crews attended to put it out with a hose.

A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “Smokers need to make sure if they dispose of a cigarette it is fully extinguished.”

Faulty fuse box

CREWS who were called to reports of smoke drifting from a property found a faulty fuse box, isolated the electrics and called the electricity board to attend the building in Langwith Road, Shirebrook, near Chesterfield.

Car damaged

POLICE are appealing for information after a window of a Skoda Octavia car was damaged while it was parked on Boythorpe Road, Chesterfield. Nothing was stolen from the vehicle.