NEWS IN BRIEF:

0
Have your say

Cat alerted OAP to blaze in her home

A WOMAN in her eighties escaped her blazing Sheffield home after her cat alerted her to the fire.

The cat scratched her legs to get her attention after the pensioner accidentally turned on her gas hob while cleaning her home in St John’s Road, Deepcar.

A fire service spokesman said a tea towel on the hob had caught alight, at 10.20pm on Monday night.

“She managed to get herself up and out of the property before fire crews arrived,” he added.

Rooftop drama

TWO teenage girls were talked down from the roof of the John Lewis department store in Sheffield yesterday afternoon after sparking an emergency.

The Barker’s Pool shop was cordoned off by police, with officers standing guard at a cordon, after the girls, aged 14 and 16, were spotted on a ledge at just after 3.10pm.

Police went up to the roof and managed to talk down the girls, who are safe and well, at 3.46pm. The cordon was lifted a minute later. Both girls have now returned to where they were living.

Cannabis discovery

POLICE officers who called at a house in Sheffield after concerns were raised about a man’s safety found cannabis plants growing in the property.

The man they were looking for at the house on Beckton Avenue, Waterthorpe, was not in at the time.

Power goes out

UNDERGROUND electricity cables caught fire on Worksop Road, Aston - causing a power cut in the area on Monday night.

Firefighters had to call out a National Grid engineer to repair the cabling once the flames were extinguished.

Dishwasher on fire

A MAN was trapped in his bedroom by smoke when the dishwasher caught fire in his kitchen. Firefighters were called to the house on Wordsworth Avenue, Penistone, at 11.15am yesterday.

Crime safety tips

POLICE in Sheffield visited 250 homes in Gleadless Valley, Heeley and Meersbrook last Thursday to offer residents advice on keeping their homes safe following a spike in burglaries across the city.