New appeal by fire chiefs

0
Have your say

OVERLOADED sockets and faulty or misused electrical appliances caused more than 100 fires in South Yorkshire in the last nine months.

The figures have been revealed as part of national Electrical Safety Week.

South Yorkshire firefighters attended 104 house fires between April 1 and December 31 sparked by overloaded sockets and faulty appliances, including heaters, lighting and kitchen equipment.

Head of community safety Steve Makepeace said: “A fire in your home is devastating, but many are preventable.”

For safety tips visit www.syfire.gov.uk and call 0114 2532314 for a home safety check.