Neighbour rescues OAP from blaze

0
Have your say

A HERO neighbour led an elderly woman to safety after a fire broke out in her Sheffield homes.

The blaze broke out in the 83-year-old’s bedroom on Skelton Drive, Woodhouse, while she was smoking in bed.

Firefighters said a cigarette had set fire to some papers in the room.

A neighbour heard the smoke alarm sounding and went into the house and led the woman to safety.

Firefighters gave her oxygen before she was taken to the Northern General Hospital for further treatment.

A 53-year-old man who lives in the flat above was also taken to hospital after smoke got into his flat.

A second smoking-related fire broke out in a property on Skotia Drive, Manor, on the same night.

A man in his 50s had been smoking in his bedroom and then fell asleep in his lounge while his cigarette was still burning in the other room.

A neighbour heard his smoke alarm sounding and rang the fire brigade for help.

When firefighters arrived they found the man unconscious in his lounge.

They gave him oxygen to revive him at the scene before he was taken to hospital.