SOUTH Yorkshire MP Angela Smith has demanded a new inquest into the death of a Hillsborough disaster victim.
The Penistone and Stocksbridge Labour MP was speaking at a parliamentary debate into the tragedy yesterday, sparked by a 100,000 internet-based petition.
Anne Williams was behind the petition which urged the Government to overturn the accidental death verdict at the inquest of her 15-year-old son Kevin, who was among 96 Liverpool fans crushed to death at the Sheffield Wednesday football stadium in 1989.
Mrs Smith, former MP for Sheffield Hillsborough, said: “I want to add the voice of Sheffield to this debate.
“It matters to the families of those who died and were involved in the tragedy.
“It matters to the people of South Yorkshire. It matters to a city which, alongside Liverpool, is still struggling I think to come to terms with what happened. It matters because we need to know the truth.”
The inquests into the 96 deaths did not consider anything that happened after 3.15pm, meaning the actions of the emergency services and other agencies involved on the day were never examined.
However former South Yorkshire special constable Debra Martin, who looked after Kevin at the stadium until his death, said he did not die until 4pm.
She also claims she was pressurised into changing her original statement to say he was dead by 3.15pm.
Mrs Smith said the need for a new inquest ‘had been laid out very clearly’.
Attorney-general Dominic Grieve told the debate: “The only way in which a second inquest can be held is if the High Court quashes the original inquest and orders a second to be held. My role is to consider the prospect of the High Court ordering a new inquest.”
He said he wanted to delay a decision until the Hillsborough Independent Panel publishes its report later this year.
A South Yorkshire Police spokeswoman said: “Given the work we are involved in with the panel, we do not think it’s appropriate to comment on this matter.”