Misadventure verdict on chef

editorial image
0
Have your say

A CHEF who failed to turn up for work was found dead on his living room floor, clutching a butane gas canister, an inquest heard.

Staff at Zizzi Italian restaurant in Sheffield began to worry when Ricky Jaram did not appear for his evening shift on October 4 last year.

The dad-of-one was a ‘great employee who was always reliable’, restaurant manager Kathryn Mosley told Sheffield Coroner’s Court.

Colleagues could not contact him on his phone and when they went to his house on Brimmesfield Road, Arbourthorne, they found the curtains drawn and the door locked.

Ms Mosley called the police the next day, and officers went to the house accompanied by Mr Jaram’s parents.

PC James Carlton said officers found the chef on the living room floor clutching a butane gas canister.

PC Carlton said there was no note and no evidence anybody else had been in the room.

The inquest heard the 33-year-old chef had a history of heroin abuse which started when he was 16, but he had been clean for some time.

A report from Sheffield NHS addiction services said Mr Jaram had produced consistently clear urine tests for nearly two years.

“It was felt that since his son was born in March 2009 he was determined to keep himself clean for the sake of his son,” the report said. Doctors knew he was upset by the recent breakdown of his relationship and was having trouble getting access to his child.

Pathologist John Shortland said he had died of cardio-respiratory failure due to butane intoxication.

Assistant deputy coroner Louise Slater recorded a verdict of misadventure. She said she had insufficient evidence to return a verdict of suicide, because there was no proof Mr Jaram had intended to take his own life.