Man overcome by smoke in fire

0
Have your say

A MAN was rescued by firefighters after he was found in his smoke-filled flat on Houndsfield Road, East Herringthorpe, Rotherham.

Crews were called to his home at 10.50pm on Saturday by worried neighbours.

The casualty was found crouched on his kitchen floor suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation and he was taken to hospital for treatment.

The fire started in a bedroom and is believed to have been caused by a discarded smoking materials.

Meanwhile, firefighters are urging homeowners to have their chimneys swept before lighting open fires for the first time this winter, after a blaze in Barnsley.

Crews were called to a chimney fire on High Street, Dodworth, at 7.10pm on Sunday. They tried to extinguish the flames from the grate but then had to use an aerial ladder platform to tackle the blaze from above.