Man dies from horrific burns in hospital after gas blast

Firefighters  outside the house on Jermyn Avenue Hackenthrope, Sheffield after a gas explosion.
Firefighters outside the house on Jermyn Avenue Hackenthrope, Sheffield after a gas explosion.
0
Have your say

A MAN left with burns to 90 per cent of his body after a gas blast at his home has died from his injuries.

Dennis Popplewell, who was in his 50s, was injured when a massive gas blast sparked a blaze in his home on Jermyn Avenue, Hackenthorpe, on Friday morning.

The blast blew the windows out of his home and woke neighbours, who raced to help. They said flames were shooting out of all but one of Mr Popplewell’s windows after the blast.

Neighbours were trying to get a ladder to a bedroom window where Mr Popplewell was standing when he fell out. Neighbour Charles Mills, 57, broke his fall by trying to catch him.

Neighbours helped carry him to a grass verge and looked after him until firefighters and paramedics arrived.

Mr Popplewell was rushed to a specialist burns unit at the Northern General Hospital but died around 12 hours after the blast.

Neighbours said Mr Popplewell had lost his hair in the gas blast and blaze and had remnants of his bedding stuck to his charred skin.

Police and the fire service are still investigating the explosion.

The house and neighbouring homes were cordoned off while firefighters fought the flames.

They isolated the gas supply and once the blaze was out checks were carried out on neighbouring homes, which were all deemed safe.