Man dies after blaze in his flat

The fire damaged flat at Skelton Way, Woodhouse
The fire damaged flat at Skelton Way, Woodhouse
0
Have your say

A MAN has died after a fire in his flat in Sheffield during the early hours of yesterday morning.

Fire crews extinguished the fire in a ground floor flat in Skelton Way, Woodhouse, and rescued the 48-year-old occupant.

The man, who has not been named because relatives have not yet been informed, was taken to the Northern General Hospital where he died from his injuries.

Police today said they were not treating the incident as suspicious and were not looking for anyone else in connection with the blaze.

Neighbour Noelle Uwimana, who lives in the flat above the victim, was woken by thick black smoke coming under her bedroom door at around 4am.

She alerted the Fire Service who arrived at the three storey block within minutes.

Noelle, aged 37, told The Star it was the most frightening experience of her life.

She said: “I woke up and saw the smoke and thought, ‘I’m going to die’.

“I called 999 and then tried to push a mattress through the window so I could jump on it. But it was too big to force through.

“Then I pushed the duvet outside and was going to jump on that.

“But a policeman shouted to me and told me to try and get down the stairs.

“The corridor was full of black smoke but thankfully I made my way outside.

“I was then taken to hospital in an ambulance but allowed home after being treated for smoke inhalation.

“It’s awful that the man downstairs has died and a miracle of God that no one else was killed.

“I am going to St Marie’s Cathedral later today to say a prayer to God to thank him for saving me.”

Noelle said she often said hello to the man downstairs but did not know his name. She added: “He was usually very quiet and kept himself to himself.”

A spokeswoman for the police said: “Investigations have now been carried out at the scene, and with witnesses. Police are not treating this incident as suspicious and are not looking for anyone else in connection with the fire.”