A WARNING about the dangers of metal theft has been issued by police after a man was electrocuted while trying to steal copper cable attached to a pylon.
The 19-year-old was injured while climbing the structure in Holmewood, Chesterfield.
Police said he was attempting to steal live cable and he suffered electrical burns when he touched it. He spent over 10 days in hospital and was given a caution.
Sergeant Lee Jones said: “Those who steal live cable are not only breaking the law they are also putting their lives at risk.
“We can’t stress enough how dangerous this type of crime is.”