Man assaulted 13-year-old boy outside Doncaster school

Doncaster Magistrates Court
Doncaster Magistrates Court

A parent showed a ‘complete lack of control’ by attacking a 13-year-old boy outside a Doncaster school in front of other pupils and a teacher, a court heard.

Colin Simpson, aged 44, of Highfield Crescent, Thorne, admitted assaulting the teen who suffered bruises and grazing during the attack.

Mobile phone footage played in Doncaster Magistrates Court showed Simpson pushing the boy - who cannot be named for legal reasons - and swearing at him during the exchange as a teacher tried to intervene.

During the video the teacher can be heard shouting: “Get away, you’re an adult.”

Handing Simpson a 12-month community order, District Judge Kate Meek said: “This incident shows a complete lack of control and a lack of self-control, your behaviour was aggressive and took place at a school in front of other children.

“It was a wholly unpleasant incident.

“Even if I could see it as a momentary loss of control, the fact is a teacher tried to stop it and you continued. You were the adult and he was a 13-year-old boy.”

The court heard Simpson had gone to the school - which also cannot be named to protect the victim’s identity - in an attempt to break up a fight between pupils.

Mitigating, Nick Ward said the boy involved was ‘no shrinking violet’ and had been described as a bully.

He added: “He approached the boy with the intention of separating a fight and was completely flabbergasted by his attitude and as a result of the tension and his anxiety issues he lost control. It was an isolated incident.”

Prosecuting, Joanne Lewis-Crooks said the teacher who tried to break up the pair during the incident on June 20 said Simpson had acted aggressively at the school in the past.

Simpson was ordered to complete 100 hours’ unpaid work and 10 hours’ rehabilitation as part of his community order. He must also pay £85 compensation and an £85 victim surcharge.