A MAN and his dog have died in a Christmas Eve flat fire tragedy in South Yorkshire.
Police and fire service officials are investigating the blaze which happened at a complex of flats in Cantley, Doncaster.
Neighbouring residents dialled 999 after hearing the smoke alarm go off and firefighters called to the scene at about 3.20am today had to break into the property.
It is believed the resident, a man in his 40s, and his pet were killed by the smoke.
A spokesman for South Yorkshire fire service said: “Fire crews from Doncaster and Edlington were called to the Callender Court flat complex on Middleham Road, Cantley at 3.20am today.
“The deceased man, believed to be in his 40s, was discovered by firefighters after they forced entry to a flat to tackle the fire. A dog was also discovered to have died.”
He added: “A number of occupants of neighbouring flats were led to safety as a precaution after smoke spread from the fire.
“One woman was taken to hospital for a precautionary check. The fire was confined to one flat, and was tackled by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus using a hose reel.”
Investigators were at the scene this morning,