DCSIMG

South Yorkshire fire chiefs issue warning over electricity meter tampering

Kevin Ronan

Kevin Ronan

A warning has been issued about the dangers of tampering with electricity meters.

South Yorkshire fire chiefs claim information from partner organisations suggests pre-paid or card-operated electricity meters are being adapted in a bid to obtain free electricity - leading to fears that fires could break out.

Kevin Ronan, Head of Community Safety for the county’s fire service, said: “We know from some incidents across the country and information from our partner agencies here in South Yorkshire that this is happening more and more frequently, mainly with electricity meters but sometimes with gas meters too.

“We need people to realise how dangerous this is. The meters overheat, melting the plastic casing and causing a fire. It isn’t worth putting your family’s lives in danger simply to reduce your utility bills.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page