A MAJOR Sheffield street was closed for 45 minutes yesterday while fire crews searched for the source of smoke billowing from nearby shops.
Fire crews were called to West Street at 1pm where they evacuated a clothes shop and a restaurant which had filled with smoke.
An overheated fuse box was discovered in a basement but was not alight.
Passer-by Aidan Phillips saidr: “Police cordoned off the road while the fire service investigated and customers from the two shops were evacuated to a safe spot on the pavement.”
Nobody was injured.