A DONCASTER sex abuse trial has been halted after one of the defendants suffered a suspected stroke.
Although Alan Wilson discharged himself from hospital so he could attend his trial at Doncaster Crown Court yesterday, the judge decided he was not fit enough to go ahead with it.
The 59-year-old has pleaded not guilty to a total of 25 charges involving children.
He had been brought from prison yesterday morning but remained in the court cells while Judge Jacqueline Davies was told of the developments in the case.
Defence barrister Tina Dempster said Wilson was currently wheelchair-bound.
Ms Dempster said she and the defendant’s solicitor had attended prison last Thursday for a conference with him to be told he had been admitted to Doncaster Royal Infirmary,
They were informed he had ‘suffered some sort of seizure’.
Ms Dempster said: “He discharged himself over the weekend because he was concerned he would not be available for his trial.
“He has attended court intending to participate in his trial but he is physically very disabled now, more so than when I last saw him.
“His mobility is significantly impaired and there appears to be a level of cognitive malfunction relating to his memory and I don’t know if that is transient or may be permanent.”
Judge Davies said the court needed to see a medical report on the condition of Wilson, whose address is in Haig Crescent, Stainforth, and she adjourned the case until March 22 to await details of his progress.
Also at court was 41-year-old Jane Anne Fotheringham of the same address. She has pleaded guilty to five charges of making indecent images of children, some relating to a period between December 2011 and January of last year.
Prosecutor Rachel Harrison told the judge that Fotheringham would be called as a witness for the prosecution against Wilson.
Her case has been adjourned to await the conclusion of Wilson’s trial and she was also remanded in custody.