DCSIMG

Pensioner led to safety after chip-pan fire at Sheffield home

editorial image

editorial image

A neighbour led a woman in her eighties to safety after a chip pan caught fire at her Sheffield home.

The fire on Wood Road, Hillsborough, started at around 3pm on Saturday after the pan was left unattended.

The area around the cooker was well alight when firefighters from Rivelin and Elm Lane stations arrived to put out the blaze using a hose reel.

The quick-thinking neighbour, who had spotted smoke coming from the property, shut the internal doors which prevented smoke from damaging the rest of the home.

Once the fire was out, firefighters fitted smoke alarms in the property.

Today a South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “Residents are again reminded never to use a chip pan - oven chips or thermostat controlled fryers are much safer.”

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page