A WOMAN has won a payout after suffering an electric shock from a faulty freezer at work in Meadowhall.
Julie Humphries, from Rotherham, has been awarded compensation for the injuries she sustained while working behind the counter at Boost Juice Bar in Meadowhall in February 2009.
The 34-year-old received the shock after placing her hand on top of a freezer while collecting produce.
The incident caused Mrs Humphries, who lives in Rotherham, severe pain in her neck and shoulders as well as agonising headaches.
She had to take a week off work following the accident and continues to get bouts of pain, which can also force her to take further time off.
Investigations carried out by Thompsons Solicitors found the branch manager knew there was a fault with the freezer but failed to switch it off or inform staff of potential danger.
The manager lost his job because of the health and safety blunder.
Boost Juice Bars Ltd – a chain which has stores across the UK – admitted liability and settled the claim out of court.
Mrs Humphries said: “I’m angry that I was so needlessly exposed to this danger and that my health has been so seriously effected as a result.
“I could have had no idea there was a problem with the freezer.
“The pain in my neck and shoulders can be incapacitating and it means I’ve had to take a lot of time off work.
“Additionally it’s had a real impact on my home life.
“I have to be careful not to push myself so I’m not as active as I used to be.”
Sarah Wilkinson, from Thompsons Solicitors’ Leeds office said: “Regular electrical testing on the machinery in this shop would have highlighted the problems with the freezer and avoided this accident from happening.
“The manager knew the freezer was faulty yet failed to put the equipment out of service or to warn staff about the potential dangers.”
She added: “Our client has been left suffering from a great deal of pain in her neck and shoulders and is likely to need to take further time off work for at least another year.”