The historic Fitzwilliam-Clarel-Neville Tomb is soon to be rebuilt at St Mary’s Church at Tickhill.
The 600-year-old tomb, currently in the workshops of a specialist conservator, depicts the effigies of Sir Thomas Fitzwilliam and his wife Lady Lucy Neville and dates from around 1525.
Lucy Neville was the fourth daughter of John Neville, who was the brother of the ‘Kingmaker’, the Earl of Warwick.
During the dismantling of the tomb some human bones were found within the plinth.
The effigies and the shield on the west end of the memorial suffered much damage in the Civil War about 1650 and railings around it were installed about 1780. The tomb has been confirmed as being of national importance and is probably the earliest example of an Italianate-style alabaster tomb made in this country.
Four skeletons found within will be re-interred during the reconstruction process.
A small selection of bones will be retained for DNA and other archaeological examination.