DCSIMG

Fire averted by alert neighbour

FIREFIGHTERS have praised an alert Sheffield neighbour whose prompt 999 call prevented a house fire after a clothes basket was left on the hob.

The resident of Deane Field View, Waterthorpe, heard a smoke alarm sounding next door and called the fire brigade at around 10.30am yesterday.

A crew from Mosborough arrived soon afterwards and forced their way in through the front door.

Watch manager Ian Thompson said only the cooker area was damaged, but the house was filled with smoke.

A plastic basket of washing had been left on the hob, and the occupier had accidentally caught the control dial, turning the hob on, before leaving the house to go to work.

Firefighters ventilated the property and left at midday.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page