DCSIMG

Fire alert over heater danger

fire chiefs have issued a warning about electric heaters after fire broke out at a house in Balby, Doncaster, yesterday.

It is understood the heater, on the landing of a property in Meredith Crescent, was left switched on for eight hours while the occupant was out.

When he returned at 1am he discovered it had overheated, melted its plastic legs, and toppled over, causing heat damage and smouldering to the carpet and floor.

There was also a lot of smoke in the house and no smoke detectors were fitted, said a fire service spokesman. “We would like to warn householders that this sort of heater is not really meant to be left on all day, and this was an older model so it caused this problem,” he added.

Crews had to remove several floorboards to stop further damage to the landing.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page