DCSIMG

Faulty charger to blame for fatal house fire in Sheffield

Forensic experts examine the house on Wake Road, Sheffield

Forensic experts examine the house on Wake Road, Sheffield

An investigation into the cause of a fatal house fire which claimed five lives in Sheffield has established a faulty charging device was most likely to blame.

South Yorkshire Police revealed the charging device theory today, describing it as ‘the most probable cause’ of the blaze on Wake Road, Nether Edge, which broke out two weeks ago today.

But the force said investigators were unsure what exactly the faulty device was.

Shabina Begum, aged 53, her daughter Anum Parwaiz, 20, and three grandchildren – Adyan Parwaiz Kayani, nine, Amaan, seven and nine-week-old Minahil – all perished in the blaze.

A South Yorkshire Police spokeswoman said: “Following a joint investigation, South Yorkshire Police and South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue have found that the most probable cause of the fatal house fire in Wake Road, Nether Edge, Sheffield, was an electrical fault involving a faulty charging device.

“However, the investigation continues on behalf of the coroner, and a full inquest into the deaths of the three children and two women will take place at a future date.”

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page